Wednesday, June 20

my mind it tends to run

It’s amazing how much faster work goes by if I’ve been drinking. I’ll have to do this more often.

I got around to playing with the helium tank that’s at the community center. When I was younger helium balloons were one of the most entertaining things in the world. Just about anything you say is absolutely hilarious because it’s 20 octaves higher.

After figuring out how to work the tank I directed the nozzle at my mouth and inhaled a good amount. It did absolutely nothing, so I inhaled for a little while more and then noticed a ‘non-flammable’ symbol on the side of the tank. It was oxygen.

I’m not sure how much fun a balloon is if it doesn't even float. For me, in particular, half the excitement came from trying to hold on to them before they flew away. I no longer have this problem.

I’ve been very close this summer to buying a bunch of large helium balloons and seeing how many it would take to lift me off the ground. There was someone with a similar idea who went up on his lawn chair with a six pack of beer, sandwiches, and a pellet gun (to shoot the balloons and descend). His plan was to float about 30 feet off the ground. Instead, his balloons shot him up 16,000 feet and he drifted near Long Beach Airport airspace before coming down in a residential area.
As he was being arrested he said, "A man can't just sit around." Beautifully put.

My idea isn’t a whole lot different, except that I don’t have anything to shoot the balloons. It would be incredible, though, to travel around by balloons. Curious George does this.

No comments: