Wednesday, June 27

we're clever but we're clueless

This is the first night I haven’t had to work at night since the beginning of summer. I almost hugged the guy when he told me their group was staying the night.

I was searching around and found something that really made me sad. Several of the clips there upset me, but I think this and this one did me in.

I’m not sure I really have a response to any of those clips. They reminded me most of cigarette ads targeted towards kids, before they made it illegal to target them. I just think that kids should be kids. They’re being put through a machine. Children are like giant sponges. They’ll soak up everything you tell them. The problem I see with camps like these is that these kids are most likely going to spend the rest of their lives trying to squeeze this shit out. When that girl went over to the woman at the bowling alley I thought, "well in a few years she won't be stuttering because she'll have pretty much memorized what she's been taught to say." It’s all so fucked.

This isn’t to say I don’t believe in god. It's just your own journey.

I’ve talked to a couple people who don’t think that they have enough noteworthy things to write down to attract people to their blogs. I don’t think I have that many people viewing this blog. I have no idea if that will change. What I have noticed, though, is that people who are really good at attracting readers are also really good at having a conversation. That is, part of post is in response to Colleen, and the other part is in response to Natalia. I’m just carrying on that conversation.

It doesn’t matter so much what you write about, it matters more that you’re adding to the conversation. Hugh MacLeod does a great job at this. If you look at his posts, most every single one will contain a hyperlink to someone else’s website with a comment or remark about it.

So, to people who don't think they have exciting things to keep people reading, I have a simple suggestion for you. Spend some time trying to find something totally fucking awesome to write about and hope that people will find it or join the conversation.

1 comment:

Evalinn said...

Ezekiel, well I like your conversation and thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours so I´m putting up a link now.

I´ll check out the videos tomorrow when I´m on a computer with sound...